When you consider the effort it is taking to build a dog park within the Eagle Rock Recreation Center, it is all the more remarkable to recall the effort that went into building the park in the first place.
In 1954, the dream of establishing a park in the shadow of the Eagle Rock was fulfilled with the opening of what was then known as the “Clubhouse –” the combination gym, performance space and meeting area designed by the renowned architect, Richard Neutra. But the park itself was little more than an un-landscaped expanse with a small children’s play area.
Sixty years ago, on April 19, 1958, shortly after a citywide bond issue earmarked large sums of money for parks and recreation, a plan was announced to improve and expand the park by adding a softball field, two baseball diamonds, picnic areas, an archery area, shuffleboard courts and horseshoe pits.
Another big effort to build a park got underway in Northeast Los Angeles 10 years later, in April, 1968, when L.A. City Councilmember Arthur K. Snyder and L.A County Supervisor Ernest Debs teamed up to urge the county to buy 305 acres of land bordered by the Pasadena Freeway, Monterey Road and Mercury Avenue. Originally called the Rose Hills Regional Park, it was eventually named the Ernest Debs Park for the county supervisor who championed the project.